Star Jones

Star Jones
Have you met Miss Jones?

Friday

Friendship Friday: Stop Worrying!


This is a week that I've been single minded. I've been PRAYING and WORKING! What I haven't been doing is WORRYING!

As I think about it it, I've spent an awful lot of time in my life worrying. I've worried about grades in school, getting a job, keeping a job, getting a man, keeping a man and getting rid of a man. I've freaked myself out worrying about approaching deadlines and shrinking bank accounts. I've worried over my health and the health of those I love. I've worried about bills and expenses, rising gas prices and insurance costs. I've even worried about having my home in perfect condition for "company," and within seconds of their arrival, the house is turned upside down and no one even notices.

I've worried about first impressions, political correctness, identity theft and contagious infections. In spite of all the worrying, I'm still alive and well, my bills are paid, my puppy pooped on the paper and not on the floor, my man thinks my haircut is sexy, my parents still hold hands...even after all these years and there is a fresh pack of thick cut bacon in the refrigerator. So I'm doing alright!

Over the span of my lifetime, worrying accounts for hours and hours of invaluable time that I'll never get back. So, I have decided that I'd like to spend my time more wisely and more enjoyably. If you're not convinced yet to give up your worrying, here are four biblical reasons not to worry.

  1. Worrying Accomplishes Absolutely Nothing.

    I don't know about you, but I don't have any time to waste these days. And worrying is a waste of very precious time. Worrying won't help you solve a problem or bring about a solution, so why waste your time and energy on it?

      Matthew 6:27-29
      Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.

  2. Worrying is Not Good for You.

    Worrying is destructive to us in many ways. It becomes a mental burden that can even cause us to grow physically sick.

      Proverbs 12:25
      Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.

  3. Worrying is the Opposite of Trusting God.

    The energy that we spend worrying can be put to much better use in prayer. Here's a little formula to remember: Worry replaced by Prayer equals Trust.

      Matthew 6:30
      And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

      Philippians 4:6-7
      Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

  4. Worrying Puts Your Focus in the Wrong Direction.

    When we keep our eyes focused on God, we remember his love for us and we realize we truly have nothing to worry about. God has a wonderful plan for our lives, and part of that plan includes taking care of us. Even in the difficult times, when it seems like God doesn't care, we can put our trust in the Lord and focus on his kingdom. God will take care of our every need.

      Matthew 6:25
      That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?

      Matthew 6:31-33
      So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

      1 Peter 5:7
      Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
    I know that we are all facing challenges in our lives, but I believe in the power of prayer; and prayer does nothing if we are "double minded" when we come to God for his divine guidance. My grandmother taught me: "pray so you don't have to worry; because if you're still worrying...you're wasting your time praying."

6 comments:

  1. I so totally agree with #3. My hubs Grandmother would always say, "If you're gonna pray don't worry and if you're gonna worry, don't pray". Keeps making more sense the more I think about it. It's just the human side always tries to take over the spiritual side. But we just have to keep believing and let the spiritual side always have the upper hand. Thanks for the good word "Auntie Star".

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I NEEDED THIS TODAY! I ALMOST BELIEVE MY FIRST NOT MY MIDDLE NAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN WORRY! I KNOW IT'S NOT GODLY, AND I'VE PRAYED FOR GOD TO HELP ME THROUGH IT AND YET STILL I FIND MY SELF ALMOST STUCK IN A TRANCE SOMETIMES WITH WORRY! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SISTER/FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord knows what you need, when you need it. I'm a praying woman but sometimes I'm guilty (like recently) of not totally surrendering to God. Thanks for the reminder and I'm letting it all go. Here's to a worry-free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog. It was right on time and very much needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! You're a preacher?? Never would have thought/guessed. lol. Okay fine, just messing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a few days late, but this was just for me today. I've been grappling with things that I know should be surrendered, but I keep on holding on. As a result, I have become physically ill. I've gotta get it together. I know God. I know the love that He has for me. I try to stand on His promises, but here I am...almost worried completely silly about something that I am sure that he has worked out already. The unknown is something that I don't do very well with. Oh, but Soror Star, this word was just for me. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome as long as they are in keeping with the spirit of this blog. They must be positive about your life, your community, our nation or our world. They must elevate...not denigrate...and if you criticize me or my position...state your name and email address so I know who you are and can address you directly. My blog...my rules. Star